Christine M. Bruhn, Ph.D.
Cooperative Extension Specialist Emerita
Food Science and Technology
Food Science (1983-2014)
Professor Bruhn retired in 2014.
Director (Retired), Center for Consumer Research. Dr. Bruhn was trained in consumer behavior, food science, and consumer economics. She taught food science and consumer courses at the University of California and California State University for over ten years before joining Cooperative Extension in 1986. As a Consumer Food Marketing Specialist, Dr. Bruhn studied consumer attitudes toward food safety and quality and conducted educational programs which informed consumers about new products and new technologies.
She served as Chair of FANSA, the Food and Nutrition Science Alliance composed of the American Society for Nutritional Sciences, the American Dietetic Association, the American Society for Clinical Nutrition, and the Institute of Food Technologies, is past Chair of the Institute of Food Technologies Food Science Communicators and the Nutrition Division, and served as a Scientific Lecturer for the Institute, from 1992-97.
Research conducted by the Center for Consumer Research generated knowledge that laid the basis for effective decision making by consumers at a personal level and for effective policy and actions by public and private organizations.
Dr. Bruhn has authored over ninety popular and professional papers on consumer attitudes toward food. She has received numerous national and international requests to address consumer issues.
- B.S. Home Economics, University of California, Davis
- M.S. Home Economics, Univeristy of California, Davis
- Ph.D. Consumer Behavior, University of California, Davis
Membership in Professional Associations
- American Dairy Science Association
- American Council on Consumer Interest
- American Dietetic Association
- California Nutrition Council
- Institute of Food Technologists
- International Association for Food Protection
- Phi Tau Sigma Honorary Society
- Sigma Xi
- Society for Nutritional Education
- Cooperative Extension Assembly Council Distinguished Service Award for Oustanding Teaching, 1992
- Outstanding Performance as a Regional Communicator, IFT, 1992
- Ivan Parker Lecturer, for outstanding efforts in food safety, IAMFES, 1998
- Certificate of Merit, Internation Association for Food Protection, 2000
- G. Malcolm Trout Visiting Scholar, Michigan State University, 2000
- Fellow, Institute of Food Science and Technology, United Kingdom, 2000