Why Food Science?
Opportunities for employment include positions in the food and allied industries, local, state and federal government agencies, and educational and research institutions. Graduates qualify for supervisory, technical, applied research, sales and executive positions in processing, quality assurance, process development, product development, marketing, and sensory evaluation in food and food-related industries.
The major provides excellent preparation for graduate study in food science, microbiology, agricultural and environmental chemistry, engineering, nutrition, biochemistry, as well as for professional programs such as veterinary medicine, medical and dental, and pharmacy schools.
Graduates of the Department of Food Science and Technology at UC Davis have found employment with major organizations throughout the United States and abroad. Some of these organizations include Anheuser-Busch, Del Monte Corp., M&M/Mars, Baskin-Robbins Corp., Dole Company, Nestle, Inc., Blue Diamond Corp., General Mills, Procter & Gamble, Campbell Soup Co., Hunt Wesson, Unilever, Clorox Company, Kellogg Company, USDA, Coca Cola, and Kraft/General Foods.
- The UC Davis Internship and Career Center (ICC) has job and internship opportunities in Food Science. There are postings for career track employment and internships in Food Science and Technology. These listings are appropriate for FST undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni. The ICC uses Handshake, an online platform where UC Davis students and alumni can connect with employers.
- An additional resource for employers and job seekers is Opus International, Inc., an executive search firm specializing in the Food Science industry. (FST Leadership Board member Moira McGrath is the President of Opus International.
- UC Davis Food Science and Technology Alumni and Friends LinkedIn group features Food Science and Technology related news and research.
Related Professional Organizations
Professional Organizations: These organizations have resources for young professionals such as e-mentoring, networking tools, divisions one can join, professional events, news, and job postings:
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)