Michael J. McCarthy, Ph.D.
Food Science and Technology
Food Science and Technology
Ph. D. University of California at Berkeley, 1986
B.S. Ch.E. University of Florida
Professor McCarthy’s research program focused on:
- Application of process analytical technology to food manufacturing processes,
- Real-time measurements of product quality,
- Measurements and modeling of transport phenomena in food processing,
- Development and evaluation of novel magnetic resonance based process sensors,
- Measurement of food microstructure and processing induced microstructural changes.
- Zhang, L., M.J. McCarthy. 2015. NMR Relaxometry Study of Development of Freeze Damage in Mandarin Orange. J. of the Science of Food and Agriculture. DOI 10.1002/jsfa.7491
- Mihailova, O., Lim, V., McCarthy, M.J., McCarthy, K.L. and Bakalis, S. 2015. Laminar mixing in a SMX static mixer evaluated by Positron Emission Particle Tracking (PEPT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Chemical Engineering Science. 137:1014-1023.
- Lim, V., Hobby A., McCarthy, M.J. and K.L. McCarthy. 2015. Laminar mixing of miscible fluids in a SMX mixer evaluated by Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Chemical Engineering Science. 137:1024-1033.
- Le,P, Zhang, L. Lim,V., McCarthy, M.J. Nitin, N. 2015. A novel approach for measuring resistance of Escherichia coli and Listeria monocytogenes to hydrogen peroxide using label-free magnetic resonance imaging and relaxometry. Food Control. 50:560-567.
- Kirtil, E., Oztop,HM, Sirjariyawat,A., Ngamchuachit,P., Barrett,D.M. and McCarthy, M.J. 2014. Effect of pectin methyl esterase (PME) and CaCl2 infusion on the cell integrity of fresh-cut and frozen-thawed mangoes: An NMR relaxometry study. Food Research International. 66:409-416.
- Zhang, L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2013. Assessment of pomegranate postharvest quality using nuclear magnetic resonance. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 77:59-66.
- Zhang, L., Barrett, D.M. and McCarthy, 2013. Characterization of the Red Layer and Pericarp of Processing Tomato using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Food Science. 78: E50–E55. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2012.03007.x
- Kong, F. , Oztop, M.H., Singh, R.P., and McCarthy, M.J. 2013. Effect of boiling, roasting and frying on disintegration of peanuts in simulated gastric environment. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 50:32-38.
- Maleky, F., McCarthy, K.L., McCarthy, M.J. and Marangoni, A. 2012. Effect of Cocoa Butter Structure on Oil Migration. Journal of Food Science. 77(3):E74-79.
- Lavenson, D.M., Tozzi, E.J., Powell, R.L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2012. Effective diffusivities of BSA in cellulosic fiber beds measured with magnetic resonance imaging. Cellulose. DOI: 10.1007/s10570-012-9732-2
- Lavenson, D.M., Tozzi, E.J., Karuna,N., Jeoh,T. Powell, R.L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2012. The effect of mixing on the liquefaction and saccharification of cellulosic fibers. Bioresource Technology. 111:P240-247.
- Zhang, L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2012. Food Quality Assurance and Control. eMagRes.
- Tozzi, E.J., Bacca, L.A., Hartt, W., McCarthy, K.L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2012. Robust processing of capillary velocimetry data via stress-rescaled velocity functions. Journal of Rheology. 56, 1499-.
Awards and Honors
- Institute of Food Technologists Samuel Cate Prescott Award for Research, 1991
- American Chemical Society, Agricultural and Food Chemistry Division, Young Investigator Award, 1993
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1990-95
- Institute of Food Technologist Fellow, 2016