Michael J. McCarthy, Ph.D.
Food Science and Technology
Food Science and Technology
Food Science (1984-2016)
Professor McCarthy retired in July of 2016.
Ph. D. University of California at Berkeley, 1986
B.S. Ch.E. University of Florida
Professor McCarthy’s research program focused on:
- Application of process analytical technology to food manufacturing processes,
- Real-time measurements of product quality,
- Measurements and modeling of transport phenomena in food processing,
- Development and evaluation of novel magnetic resonance based process sensors,
- Measurement of food microstructure and processing induced microstructural changes.
- Zhang, L., M.J. McCarthy. 2015. NMR Relaxometry Study of Development of Freeze Damage in Mandarin Orange. J. of the Science of Food and Agriculture. DOI 10.1002/jsfa.7491
- Mihailova, O., Lim, V., McCarthy, M.J., McCarthy, K.L. and Bakalis, S. 2015. Laminar mixing in a SMX static mixer evaluated by Positron Emission Particle Tracking (PEPT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Chemical Engineering Science. 137:1014-1023.
- Lim, V., Hobby A., McCarthy, M.J. and K.L. McCarthy. 2015. Laminar mixing of miscible fluids in a SMX mixer evaluated by Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Chemical Engineering Science. 137:1024-1033.
- Le,P, Zhang, L. Lim,V., McCarthy, M.J. Nitin, N. 2015. A novel approach for measuring resistance of Escherichia coli and Listeria monocytogenes to hydrogen peroxide using label-free magnetic resonance imaging and relaxometry. Food Control. 50:560-567.
- Kirtil, E., Oztop,HM, Sirjariyawat,A., Ngamchuachit,P., Barrett,D.M. and McCarthy, M.J. 2014. Effect of pectin methyl esterase (PME) and CaCl2 infusion on the cell integrity of fresh-cut and frozen-thawed mangoes: An NMR relaxometry study. Food Research International. 66:409-416.
- Zhang, L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2013. Assessment of pomegranate postharvest quality using nuclear magnetic resonance. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 77:59-66.
- Zhang, L., Barrett, D.M. and McCarthy, 2013. Characterization of the Red Layer and Pericarp of Processing Tomato using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Food Science. 78: E50–E55. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2012.03007.x
- Kong, F. , Oztop, M.H., Singh, R.P., and McCarthy, M.J. 2013. Effect of boiling, roasting and frying on disintegration of peanuts in simulated gastric environment. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 50:32-38.
- Maleky, F., McCarthy, K.L., McCarthy, M.J. and Marangoni, A. 2012. Effect of Cocoa Butter Structure on Oil Migration. Journal of Food Science. 77(3):E74-79.
- Lavenson, D.M., Tozzi, E.J., Powell, R.L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2012. Effective diffusivities of BSA in cellulosic fiber beds measured with magnetic resonance imaging. Cellulose. DOI: 10.1007/s10570-012-9732-2
- Lavenson, D.M., Tozzi, E.J., Karuna,N., Jeoh,T. Powell, R.L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2012. The effect of mixing on the liquefaction and saccharification of cellulosic fibers. Bioresource Technology. 111:P240-247.
- Zhang, L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2012. Food Quality Assurance and Control. eMagRes.
- Tozzi, E.J., Bacca, L.A., Hartt, W., McCarthy, K.L. and McCarthy, M.J. 2012. Robust processing of capillary velocimetry data via stress-rescaled velocity functions. Journal of Rheology. 56, 1499-.
Awards and Honors
- Institute of Food Technologists Samuel Cate Prescott Award for Research, 1991
- American Chemical Society, Agricultural and Food Chemistry Division, Young Investigator Award, 1993
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1990-95
- Institute of Food Technologist Fellow, 2016