John M. Krochta, Ph.D.
Food Science and Technology
Food Science (1989-2011)
Professor Krochta retired in July of 2011.
Ph. D. University of California, Berkeley, 1971
Professor Krochta researched edible films and coatings, primarily from whey protein. The more basic aspects of his research are the effects of whey protein molecular structure and film composition on film formation, barrier properties, mechanical properties, color and gloss. The more applied aspects of his research involve formation of whey protein films as coatings on nuts to reduce oxidation, on chocolate to provide gloss, on high-moisture foods to inhibit microbial growth, on dried foods and cereals to reduce damage, and on paper and plastic to improve their barrier properties.
- Dangaran, K. L. and J. M. Krochta. 2008. Whey protein films and coatings. In Whey Processing, Functionality and Health Benefits. C. Onwulata and P. Huth (eds.) Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA.
- Hernandez-Izquierdo, V. M., D. S. Reid, T. H. McHugh, J. De J. Berrios and J. M. Krochta. 2008. Thermal transitions and extrusion of glycerol-plasticized whey protein mixtures. J. Food Science. 73(4): E169-E175.
- Min, S., T. R. Rumsey and J. M. Krochta. 2008. Diffusion of the antimicrobial lysozyme from a whey protein coating on smoked salmon. J. Food Engineering. 84(2008):39-47.
- Pallas-Brindle, L. and J. M. Krochta. 2008. Physical properties of whey protein-hydroxypropylmethylcellulose blend edible films. J. Food Science. 73(9):E446-454.
- Hernandez-Izquierdo, V. M. and J. M. Krochta. 2009. Thermal transitions and heat sealing of glycerol-plasticized whey protein films. Packag. Technol. Sci. 2009; 22:255-260.
- Krochta, J. M. 2009. Films, edible. In The Wiley Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology. K. Yam (ed.) John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Bamforth, C. W. and J. M. Krochta. 2009. Packaging and the shelf life of beer. In Packaging and the Shelf Life of Food. G. L. Robertson (ed.) CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Dragich, A. M. and J. M. Krochta. 2010. Whey protein solution coating for fat-update reduction in deep fried chicken breast strips. J. Food Science. 75(1):S43-S47.
- Janjarasskul, T. and J. M. Krochta. 2010. Edible packaging materials. Ann. Rev. Food Sci. Technol. 1:415-448.
- Krochta, J. M. 2011. Package Permeability. In Encyclopedia of Agriculture, Food and Biological Engineering. ( D. R. Heldman, ed.) Marcel Dekker Inc., New York.
- Yoo, SeungRan, and J. M. Krochta. 2011. Whey protein-polysaccharide blended edible film formation and barrier, tensile thermal and transparency properties. J. Science Food & Agriculture.
Extension of Knowledge Activities
- FST 50 - Introduction to Food Preservation
- FST 131 - Food Packaging
- EBS 231 - Mass Transfer in Food and Biological Systems
For more information on Dr. Krochta, see his curriculum vitae below.