Glen Patrick Fox, Ph.D.
Anheuser-Busch Endowed Professor of Malting and Brewing Sciences
Food Science and Technology
Ph.D., Southern Cross University, Australia
Dr Glen Fox’s areas of research are barley, malt and brewing quality. His current research focus is on starch structure and its impact of wort and beer quality. Another research interest is using a number of ‘omics platform to understand the complex biochemical changes during malting and brewing and the final compositional profile of beer. In 2018, he was made a Fellow of the Institute of Brewing. He has been on a number of methods committees for the American Society of Brewing Chemists. Dr Fox has also been on organizing committees for a number of national and international conference. He has numerous book chapters and peer reviewed journal articles and is senior editor, of the upcoming book “Achieving sustainable cultivation of barley” Burleigh Dodds Science publishing. He is associate editor for the Journal of Near Infrared Spectroscopy and the Journal for the Science of Food and Agriculture.
- Yu W, Fox GP, Gidley M & Gilbert RG. (2019) Molecular brewing: molecular structural effects involved in barley malting and mashing. Carbohydrate Polymers. 206:583-592.
- Yu W, Quck W, Li C, Gilbert R & Fox G. (2018) Variations of starch molecular structure of barley malt and rice adjuncts and resultant brewing performances. Fermentation Special issue:Bioprocess and Fermentation Monitoring.4. 103. doi:10.3390/fermentation4040103
- Kerr, E.D., Phung, T.K., Caboche, C.H., Fox, G.P., Platz, G.J. & Schulz, B.L. (2019) The intrinsic and regulated proteomes of barley seeds in response to fungal infection. Analytical Biochemistry, 580: 30-35.
- Quek WP, Yu W, Gilbert RG & Fox GP. (2019) Molecular structure-property relations controlling mashing performance of amylases as a function of barley grain size. Amylases, 3: 13-18.
- Quek, W.P., Yu, W., Tao, K., Fox G.P. & Gilbert, R.G. (2019) Starch structure-property relations as a function of barley germination times. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 136: 1125-1132.
- Temba B, Fletcher M, Fox G, Harvey J, Okoth S & Sultanbawa Y,. (2019) Curcumin-based photosensitization inactivates Aspergillus flavus and reduces aflatoxin B1 in maize kernels. Food Microbiology. 82: 82:88
- Temba, Benigni A., Fletcher, Mary T., Fox, Glen P., Harvey, Jagger, Okoth, Sheila A. and Sultanbawa, Yasmina. (2019) Curcumin-based photosensitization inactivates Aspergillus flavus and reduces aflatoxin B1 in maize kernels. Food Microbiology, 82: 82-88.
- Wenwen, Yu, Tao, Keyu, Gidley, Michael J., Fox, Glen P., Gilbert, Robert G. (2019) Molecular brewing: Molecular structural effects involved in barley malting and mashing. Carbohydrate Polymers, 206: 583-592.
- Yu, Wenwen, Zou, Wei, Dhital, Sushil, Wu, Peng, Gidley, Michael J., Fox, Glen P. and Gilbert, Robert G. (2018) The adsorption of alpha-amylase on barley proteins affects the in vitro digestion of starch in barley flour. Food Chemistry, 241: 493-501.
- Schulz, Benjamin L., Phung, Toan K., Bruschi, Michele, Janusz, Agnieszka, Stewart, Jeff, Meehan, John, Healy, Peter, Nouwens, Amanda S., Fox, Glen P. and Vickers, Claudia E. (2018) Process proteomics of beer reveals a dynamic proteome with extensive modifications. Journal of Proteome Research, 17(4): 1647-1653.
- Moner, Ali M., Furtado, Agnelo, Chivers, Ian, Fox, Glen, Crayn, Darren and Henry, Robert J. (2018) Diversity and evolution of rice progenitors in Australia. Ecology and Evolution, 8(8): 4360-4366.
- Robinson, Hannah, Kelly, Alison, Fox, Glen, Franckowiak, Jerome, Borrell, Andrew and Hickey, Lee. (2018) Root architectural traits and yield: exploring the relationship in barley breeding trials. Euphytica, 214(9).
- Falade, Titilayo D. O., Chrysanthopoulos, Panagiotis K., Hodson, Mark P., Sultanbawa, Yasmina, Fletcher, Mary, Darnell, Ross, Korie, Sam and Fox, Glen. (2018) Metabolites identified during varied doses of species in grains, and their correlation with aflatoxin levels. Toxins, 10(5): 187.
- Darnell, Ross E., Harvey, Jagger J., Fox, Glen P., Fletcher, Mary T., Wainaina, James, Wanjuki, Immaculate and Turner, Warwick J. (2018) NIRS calibration of aflatoxin in maize. Australian Journal of Chemistry, 71(11): 868-873.
- Fox, G., Yu, W., Nischwitz, R. and Harasymow, S. (2018) Variation in maltose in sweet wort from barley malt and rice adjuncts with differences in amylose structure. Journal of the Institute of Brewing, 125(1): 18-27.