Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.
Anheuser-Busch Endowed Professor of Malting and Brewing Sciences Emeritus
Food Science and Technology
Food Science (2005-2018)
Professor Bamforth retired in 2018.
Ph. D. University of Hull, 1977, D. Sc. University of Hull, 1993
Dr. Bamforth specialized in the science of malting and brewing. His research program focused primarily on the wholesomeness of beer, including studies on the psychophysics of beer perception, on polyphenols and on the residues from non-starchy polysaccharide digestion that constitute soluble fiber and potential prebiotics in beer. Research in the laboratory also embraced the enzymology of the brewing process, foam stability, preventing oxidation in wort and beer and alternative paradigms for beer production.
- Bokulich, N.A. and Bamforth, C.W., Eds 2017 Brewing Microbiology: Current Research, Omics and Microbial Ecology. Caister Academic Press.
- Bamforth, C.W. 2017. Practical Guides for Beer Quality: Freshness. American Society of Brewing Chemists
- Bamforth, C.W.,ed. 2016. Brewing Materials and Processes: A Practical Approach to Beer Excellence. Elsevier, San Diego
- Bamforth, C.W. and Ward, R.E., Eds (2014) Oxford Handbook of Food Fermentations, Oxford University Press.
- Bamforth, C.W. 2013. Practical Guides for Beer Quality: Flavor. American Society of Brewing Chemists.
- Bamforth, C.W. 2012. Practical Guides for Beer Quality: Foam. American Society of Brewing Chemists.
Awards and Honors
- UC Davis Foundation Lifetime Faculty Stewardship Award, 2016
- Honorary D.Sc, Heriot-Watt University, 2015
- Outstanding Service Award, UC Davis Extension 2013
- Award of Distinction, American Society of Brewing Chemists, 2011
- Cambridge Prize, Institute of Brewing, 1984
Extension of Knowledge Activities
- FST 3 - Introduction to Beer and Brewing
- FST 102A - Malting and Brewing Science
- FST 102B - Practical Malting and Brewing
- Short courses on brewing provided through the University of California Extension
- International Brewing Courses in China, India, South Africa, United Kingdom and Australia
For more information on Dr. Bamforth, visit his home page.