Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of Alberta
B.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Alberta
Dr. Slupsky's research includes understanding the impact of diet on human health from the perspective of nutrition, the gut microbiome, and host-microbial co-metabolism. She uses a multi-discplinary research approach that integrates metabolomics with clinical measures, global gene expression profiles, as well as microbial community analysis to understand the intimate link between our gut microbiome, metabolism, and health. In addition, she is looking into the implication of food processing, agricultural practices, and plant health status on the nutrient content and sensory aspects of the food we eat. These studies will provide novel insight on health management and food development, and usher us into the era of personalized nutrition.
- He X, Mishchuk DO, Shah J, Weimer BC, Slupsky CM (2013) "Cross-talk between E. coli strains and a human colorectal adenocarcinoma-derived cell line." Sci Reports 3, 3416.
- He X, Marco ML, Slupsky CM (2013) "Emerging aspects food and nutrition on gut microbiota." J Agric Food Chem 61, 9559-74.
- Smilowitz JT, O'Sullivan A, Barile D, German JB, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2013) "The human milk metabolome reveals diverse oligosaccharide profiles." J Nutr 143, 1709-18.
- O'Sullivan A, He X, McNiven EM, Haggarty NW, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2013) "Early diet impacts infant rhesus gut microbiome, immunity, and metabolism." J Proteome Res 12, 2833-45.
- O'Sullivan A, He X, McNiven EM, Hinde K, Haggarty NW, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2013) "Metabolomic phenotyping validates the infant rhesus monkey as a model of human infant metabolism." J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56, 355-63.
- O'Sullivan A, Willoughby RE, Mishchuk D, Alcarraz B, Cabezas-Sanchez C, Condori RE, David D, Encarnacion R, Fatteh N, Fernandez J, Franka R, Hedderwick S, McCaughey C, Ondrush J, Paez-Martinez A, Rupprecht C, Velasco-Villa A, Slupsky CM (2013) "Metabolomics of cerebrospinal fluid from humans treated for rabies." J Proteome Res 12, 481-90.
- Slisz A, Breksa AP, Mishchuk DO, McCollum G, Slupsky CM (2012) "Infection of citrus by Candidatus Liberibacter reveals insight into pathogenicity." J Proteome Res 11: 4223-30.
- Zhang X, Breksa AP, Mishchuk DO, Fake C, O'Mahony MA, Slupsky CM (2012) "Fertilization and pesticides affect mandarin orange nutrient composition." Food Chem 134: 1020-24.
- McNiven EM, German JB, Slupsky CM (2011) "Analytical metabolomics: Nutritional opportunities for personalized health." J Nutr Biochem 22: 995-1002.
- Zhang X, Breksa A, Mishchuk DO, Slupsky CM (2011) "Elevation, root stock, and soil depth affect nutritional quality of mandarin oranges." J Agric Food Chem 59: 2672-79
- Slupsky CM, Steed H, Wells TH, Dabbs K, Schepansky A, Capstick V, Faught W, Sawyer MB. Urine metabolite analysis offers potential early diagnosis of ovarian and breast cancers. Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Dec 1;16(23):5835-41. Epub 2010 Oct 18.
- Slupsky CM, Rankin KN, Fu H, Chang D, Rowe BH, Charles PG, McGeer A, Low D, Long R, Kunimoto D, Sawyer MB, Fedorak RN, Adamko DJ, Saude EJ, Shah SL, Marrie TJ. Pneumococcal pneumonia: potential for diagnosis through a urinary metabolic profile. J Proteome Res. 2009 Dec;8(12):5550-8.
- Slupsky CM, Cheypesh A, Chao DV, Fu H, Rankin KN, Marrie TJ, Lacy P.Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia induce distinct metabolic responses. J Proteome Res. 2009 Jun;8(6):3029-36.
- Takeda I, Stretch C, Barnaby P, Bhatnager K, Rankin K, Fu H, Weljie A, Jha N, Slupsky C. Understanding the human salivary metabolome. NMR Biomed. 2009 Jul;22(6):577-84.
- Mahadevan S, Shah SL, Marrie TJ, Slupsky CM. Analysis of metabolomic data using support vector machines. Anal Chem. 2008 Oct 1;80(19):7562-70. Epub 2008 Sep 4.
- Murdoch TB, Fu H, MacFarlane S, Sydora BC, Fedorak RN, Slupsky CM. Urinary metabolic profiles of inflammatory bowel disease in interleukin-10 gene-deficient mice. Anal Chem. 2008 Jul 15;80(14):5524-31. Epub 2008 Jun 18.
- Slupsky CM, Rankin KN, Wagner J, Fu H, Chang D, Weljie AM, Saude EJ, Lix B, Adamko DJ, Shah S, Greiner R, Sykes BD, Marrie TJ. Investigations of the effects of gender, diurnal variation, and age in human urinary metabolomic profiles. Anal Chem. 2007 Sep 15;79(18):6995-7004. Epub 2007 Aug 17.
- Weljie AM, Newton J, Mercier P, Carlson E, Slupsky CM. Targeted profiling: quantitative analysis of 1H NMR metabolomics data. Anal Chem. 2006 Jul 1;78(13):4430-42.