Carl K. Winter
Specialist in the Cooperative Extension
Ph. D. University of California at Davis, 1987
Dr. Winter researches the detection of pesticides and naturally-occurring toxins in foods, how to assess their risks and identify how to use the science in the regulatory decision-making process. His most recent work includes looking at the relationships between crop production systems and naturally-occurring toxins. He also studies how to improve educational activities through incorporation of music into food safety curricula.
- Winter, C.K. 2012. Pesticide residues in imported, organic, and "suspect" fruits and vegetables. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60: 4425-4429.
- Katz, J.M., C.K. Winter, S. Buttrey, and J.G. Fadel. 2012. Comparison of acrylamide intake from Western and guideline based diets using probabilistic techniques and linear programming. Food and Chemical Toxicology 50: 877-883.
- Lambertini, E., M.D. Danyluk, D.W. Schaffner, C.K. Winter, and L.J. Harris. 2012. Risk of salmonellosis from consumption of almonds in the North American market. Food Research International 45: 1166-1174.
- Winter, C.K. 2012. Pesticides in food. IN: Schrenk, D., ed. Chemical Contaminants and Residues in Foods. Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, England.
- Winter, C.K. and J.M. Katz. 2011. Dietary exposure to pesticide residues from commodities alleged to contain the highest contamination levels. Journal of Toxicology. doi: 10.1155/2011/589674.
- Winter, C.K. 2011. Filling My Plate with fear. Food Technology. November, p. 92.
- Winter, C.K. 2011. Food safety - other contaminants. IN: B.L. Caballero, L. Allen and A. Prentice (eds.), Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition 2nd Ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam.
Heidinger, J.C., C.K. Winter and J.S. Cullor. 2009. Quantatitive microbial risk assessment for Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus Enterotoxin A in raw milk. J. Food Protection 72(8): 1641-1653.
Winter, C.K., A.M. Fraser, J.B. Gleason, S.K. Hovey, S.M. McCurdy, and O.S. Snider. 2009. Food safety education using music parodies. Journal of Food Science Education 8: 62-67.
Katz, J.M. and C.K. Winter. 2009. Comparison of pesticide exposure from consumption of domestic and imported fruits and vegetables. Food and Chemical Toxicology 47: 335-338.
Winter, C.K. 2009. Organic food production and its influence on naturally occurring toxins. In: Kirchmann, H. and L. Bergstrom, eds. Organic Crop Production: Ambitions and Limitations, Springer, New York pp. 231-239.
Winter, C.K. 2008. Singing the songs of science: Using musical parodies for microbiology education. Focus on Microbiology Education 15(1): 10-11.
Awards and Honors
- Borlaug CAST Communication Award, 2012
- NSF International Food Safety Leadership Award for Education and Training 2009
- Hod Ogden Medal of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention / Association of State and Territorial Directors of Health Promotion and Public Health Education, for “innovative and creative musical approach to educate the public about food safety” 2003
- Fellow of the Institute of Food Technologists 2008
- Keiser Distinguished Lecturer, Ohio Northern University 2008
Extension of Knowledge Activities
University Extension - Future of Pesticides
University Extension - Health Effects of Hazardous Materials
For more information on Dr. Winter, visit his home page.