Christine M. Bruhn
Specialist in the Cooperative Extension
Ph. D. University of California at Davis, 1986
Dr. Bruhn has expertise in consumer behavior, food science, and consumer economics. She studies consumer attitudes toward food safety and quality and guides educational programs that inform consumers about food safety, new products and new technologies. She is past chair of the Food Science Communicators and the Nutrition Division of the Institute of Food Technologists, served as a Distinguished Scientific Lecturer for the Institute, from 1992-97 and 2002-2003, and was a member of the Executive Committee from 2003-2006. She is a Fellow of the Institute of Food Technologists, the Institute of Food Science and Technology in the UK, and the International Association for Food Protection. In 2011 Dr. Bruhn completed a four year term on the FDA Risk Communication Advisory Committee.
Research conducted by the Center for Consumer Research generates knowledge that lays the basis for effective decision making by consumers at a personal level and for effective policy and actions by public and private organizations. Dr. Bruhn has authored over one hundred fifty professional papers on consumer attitudes toward food. She receives numerous national and international requests to address consumer issues.
- Phang, Ho S. and Christine M. Bruhn. 2011. Burger Preparation: What consumers say and do in the home. J. Food Protection. 74:1708-1716.
- Brown, Mary and Christine Bruhn. 2011. Information and Persuasion. In Communicating Risks and Benefis: An Evidence-based User’s Guide. B. Fischhoff, N. Brewer and J. Downs Editors. Food And Drug Administration. MD. pp101-109. Available at http://www.fda.gov/scienceresearch/specialtopics/riskcommunication/default.htm
- Phang, Ho S. and Christine M. Bruhn. May 2011. Observations of consumer salad preparation. Food Protection Trends. 31: 274-279
- Reicks, M., Ballejos, M.E., Goodell, S., Gunter, C., Richards, R., Wong, S.S., Auld, G., Boushey, C.J., Bruhn, C., Cluskey, M., Misner, S., Olson, B., and Zaghloul, S. 2011. Individual and Family Correlates of Calcium-Rich Food Intake among Parents of Early Adolescent Children. Journal of American Dietetic Association. 111(2011): 376-384.
- Blackburn, M.L., Bruhn, C.M, and Barrett, G.J. 2009 Food safety and
nutrition education needs of individuals who serve food to elders at
risk. Journal of the National Extension Association of Family and
Consumer Sciences. 4:50-54.
- Olson, B., S. Teuber, C.M. Bruhn. 2009. Development of an Educational Packet for persons with life threatening food allergies. Journal of Food Science Education 8: 73-77.
- Yu, J.M., A. Kumar, C. Bruhn, S.S. Teuber, S.H. Sicherer. 2008.
Development of a food allergy education resource for primary care
physicians. BMC Medical Education 8:45. doi:10.1186/1472-6920-8-45
- Edlefsen, M. M. Reicks, D.L. Goldberg, G.W. Auld, A. Bock, C.J. Boushey,
C.M. Bruhn, M. Cluskey, S.L. Misner, B.H. Olson, C. Wang, S. Zaghloul.
2008. Strategies of Asian, Hispanic, and non-Hispanic White parents to
influence young adolescents’ intake of calcium-rich foods, 2004 and
2005. Preventing Chronic Disease 5(4).
- Palumbo, M., J. Gorny, D. Gombas, L. Beuchat, C. Bruhn, B. Cassens, P. Delaquis, J. Farber, L. Harris, K. Ito, M. Osterholm, M. Smith, K. Swanson. 2007. Recommendations for handling fresh cut leafy green salads by consumers and retail foodservice operators. Food Protection Trends 27(11): 892-898.
- Blalock, L. C. Bruhn, C. Byrd-Bredbenner, J. Maurer, D. Schaffner, V. Wheatley. 2007. Development and implementation of a food safety knowledge instrument. Journal of Food Science Education 6: 45-55.
Rickman, Joy, D. Barrett, C. Bruhn. 2007. Nutritional comparison of fresh, frozen, and canned fruits and vegetables. Part II. Vitamin A and carotenoids, vitamin E, minerals, and fiber. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 87: 1185-1196.
- Rickman, Joy, D. Barrett, C. Bruhn. 2007. Nutritional comparison of fresh, frozen, and canned fruits and vegetables. Part 1. Vitamins C and B and phenolic compounds. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 87: 930-944.
- Bruhn, C.M. and R. Earl. Feb. 2006. Position of the American dietetic association: agriculture and food biotechnology. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106(2):285-293.
- Bruhn, C.M. July 2005. Explaining the concept of health risks versus hazards to consumers. Food Control 16(6):487-490.
Awards and Honors
International Association for Food Protection, Fellow, 2012
- Carl R. Fellers Award, Institute of Food Technologists, 2011
- National Extension Assoc. of Family & Consumer Sc. Food Safety Award, Western Reg., 2010
- California Cheese and Butter Association, Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009
- Institute of Food Technologists, Outstanding Member Extension Division, 2008
- Julius Bauermann Lectureship Award, 2006
- Educator Award, International Association for Food Protection, 2005
- Institute of Food Science and Technology, Fellow, 2002
- Food and Agricultural Organization, International Atomic Energy Agency, and World Health Organization, 2001
- R.E Engel Award for outstanding contribution and dedication to food irradiation, International Consulting Group on Food Irradiation,
- Institute of Food Science and Technology, Fellow, United Kingdom, 2000
- G. Malcolm Trout Visiting Scholar, Michigan State University, 2000
- Certificate of Merit, International Association for Food Protection, 2000
- Bawden Memorial Lecturer, British Crop Protection Council, United Kingdom, 1999