Edwin N. Frankel
Ph. D. University of California at Davis, 1956
Professor Frankel specializes in lipid oxidation and antioxidants in foods and biological systems. His research includes lipid oxidation in foods, vegetable oil and fish oils. He also conducts research on foods and biological antioxidants which include phenolic compounds in wine, fruits, spices and beverages. In addition, he conducts research on the oxidative stability of long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, testing activity of natural antioxidants in food emulsions and biological systems and studying interactions of sugar, proteins and lipids affecting quality and safety of foods and biological activity.
- Frankel, E.N., J. Kanner, J.B. German, E. Parks and J.E. Kinsella. 1993. Inhibition of in vitro oxidation of human low-density lipoprotein with phenolic substances in red wine. The Lancet 341:454-457.
- Frankel, E.N., S.W. Huang, J. Kanner and J.B. German. 1994. Interfacial phenomena in the evaluation of antioxidants: Bulk oils versus emulsions. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry 42:1054-1059.
- Frankel, E.N. and A.S. Meyer. 2000. The problems of using one-dimensional methods to evaluate multifunctional food and biological antioxidants. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 80:1925-1941.
- Frankel, E.N., T. Satué-Gracia, A.S. Meyer and J.B. German. 2002. Oxidative stability of fish and algae oils containing long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in bulk and in oil-in-water emulsions. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry 50:2094-2099.
- Frankel, E.N. 2005. Lipid Oxidation, Second Edition, The Oily Press, Bridgwater, England.
Awards and Honors
- Research award for outstanding research in the field of wine and medicine, The Society of Medical Friends of Wine, San Francisco, 1994
- Kaufmann memorial lecturer, International Society for Fat Research, 21st World Congress, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1995
- American Oil Chemists' Society Fellow Award, 1998
- American Oil Chemists' Society S. S. Chang Award, 1999
- Cited for high-impact agricultural research by the Institute for Scientific Information as "second most-cited author of the 1990s in agricultural science, 2000
- The Lewkowitsch Lecturer, Society of Chemical Industry, Cambridge University, UK, 2002
- Ranked number 1 in the Top 10 Researchers in Agriculture by The Institute for Scientific Information (ISI), 2003 - 2005
- Vesel& Medal Award for the Development of Fats & Oil Science and Technology, from the Czech Chemical Society, Prague, Czech Republic, 2005
- A Symposium in Honor of Dr. Edwin Frankel: “Fifty Years of Lipid Oxidation Research,” American Oil Chemists’ Society Annual meeting, St. Louis, Mo, 2006
Extension of Knowledge Activities
FST 201 - Food Chemistry: lipid chemistry and technology, flavor chemistry, flavonoids
Short Course on Lipid Oxidation and Antioxidants, American Oil Chemists’ Society